These Baked Halloween Cake Doughnuts are so delicious and so easy to throw together. They take just a few minutes per batch to bake in the oven, and decorating them is simplicity itself. I LOVE Halloween and made these baked doughnuts in vanilla and chocolate flavours, with melted orange coloured chocolate and sprinkles. They’re perfect for Halloween parties, or even handing out to trick or treaters – at least with homemade treats, you know exactly whats gone into them!
Though I topped my doughnuts orange chocolate, they’d also be fab (and delicious!) if you used milk, plain, or dark chocolate, or even just a simple chocolate glaze (I also made a chocolate glazed and powdered sugar variation too!). I bought my doughnut pan from Amazon – its a Wilton one and I was really impressed with it – the doughnuts slip right out thanks to the nin-stick coating.
- 300g plain flour
- large pinch salt
- 170g caster or golden caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 180ml buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Or, for chocolate doughnuts, substitute 15g of flour with cocoa powder.
- 200g Silver Spoon Orange Flavour buttons
- Coloured sprinkles
- 60g unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp warmed semi-skimmed or whole milk
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 60g plain chocolate, chopped
- 200g icing sugar
- 12 tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat your oven to 220c/Gas 7/425f and prepare your doughnut pan - I sprayed mine with Dr Oetker cake release spray.
- Sift your flour, baking powder, salt and caster sugar into a bowl, and then in a separate bowl or jug, melt your butter and let it cool slightly before whisking in your eggs and buttermilk.
- Mix your dry and wet ingredients, and stir until just combined. Drop three tablespoons (not heaped) into each doughnut mould, and then use the edge of a spoon to combine and level the batter in the mould - which should be about two thirds full when you're done.
- Bake your doughnuts for around 6 minutes in the middle of the oven - they're done when they're lightly golden on top and spring back to the touch. Cool in the pan for a couple of minutes, before turning out onto some kitchen towel to cool.
- For the orange chocolate topping: Melt the orange flavour buttons in the microwave, in a bowl big enough to fit and swirl around one of your doughnuts face first. Stir every 30 seconds until they're melted, and then dunk your doughnuts into the chocolate - I swished them around and made sure they were decently coated (half of the doughnut). Once you've done all 12 doughnuts, re-dunk for a thicker and brighter orange coating. Decorate with sprinkles while the coating is still wet, and then leave to set for at least thirty minutes.
- Combine the butter, milk, honey and vanilla in a saucepan over a low heat and melt them together. Add the chocolate and whisk until its melted in, then remove the mixture from the heat and whisk in the sifted icing sugar. Whisk the sugar in until smooth and then dip your doughnuts.
- Put your doughnuts into a large sandwich bag (three or four at a time) and add four tbsp of icing sugar. Shake the bag until the doughnuts are well coated in icing sugar.