You need these healthy blueberry and oat bars in your baking repertoire! They’re so easy to make, and full of wholesome ingredients. Healthy food that actually tastes good!
Can you believe that these yummy soft and crumbly bars are made without sugar or butter! Honey sweetens them up for us, and coconut oil gives them a delicate coconut flavour and brings lots of yummy good fats to the table. Do you know about the health benefits of coconut oil yet? It’s so worth giving it a try – especially delicious to cook fish in.
These blueberry and coconut oat bars are chewy and soft, and packed full of bursting blueberries and chewy coconut. They keep and freeze well, making them perfect for a weekday afternoon snack that you won’t feel bad about eating or giving to little ones. Oats, coconut oil, blueberries – it’s positively a superfood! And like everything I bake, making it from scratch at home means that I know there are no scary ingredients in it, something that I’m increasingly particular about.
Have you noticed that eating healthy is soo much easier if your food actually tastes good? These bars are the kind of afternoon snack that I look forward to all day, and the healthy oats, fruits, good fats and touch of sweetness will keep you going till dinnertime without giving in to the lure of the 3pm vending machine attack.
When you make these bars, you could add nuts or chocolate chips if you have them on hand (I sometimes make them with a muesli mix – built in raisins and nuts!), or you could use mix of berries, or frozen berries – whatever is easiest for you. They’re so quick to make – just a few moments of effort on a weekend afternoon in exchange for a week’s worth of delicious and healthy snacks or breakfasts on the go – yes please!
I love how easy this recipe is – with it being in tablespoons and having so few ingredients, it’s easy to memorise and it’s the kind of recipe where it doesn’t matter if you put in a bit more or less honey or coconut oil – it will all come together.
- 7 tbsp coconut oil
- 6 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 6 tbsp dessicated coconut
- 2 tbsp greek yoghurt
- 400g / 5 cups oats
- 300g / 2 cups blueberries
- Preheat your oven to 170c / gas mark / 340F and prepare a 10 x 10 inch brownie tin by lining it with parchment paper.
- In a large heat proof bowl, melt your coconut oil and honey together in the microwave (approx 30-40 seconds on high). Stir in the coconut and oats, and then stir in the greek yoghurt. Finally, stir through the blueberries and tumble the mixture into your baking pan. Press down very firmly (since the mixture is so sticky I like to wrap a layer of clingfilm around my hand and grease it with a little sunflower oil then use that to pat down the mixture firmly).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the mixture is browned. It won't feel firm at first, so let it cool completely in the tin - this will take at least an hour. Once it's cool, you can easily cut it into bars without it crumbling.
- These bars freeze really well - just wrap in parchment paper and pop into a freezer bag - they defrost at room temperature in about an hour.
I hope you love these!