A delicious twist on classic blueberry muffins…. these Blueberry and Sweetcorn Muffins are absolutely moreish… the ultimate Summer breakfast
Blueberry Muffins, yay! Yes they do also have sweetcorn in, but hear me out….
Sweetcorn is, as the name suggests, super sweet, so the idea of using them in sweet baked treats isn’t THAT bonkers.
Since as well as sweetcorn and blueberries, we also have cornmeal in these crumbly tasty muffins, these really are perfect for anyone who LOVES sweetcorn. Using sweetcorn along with cornmeal in baking is actually really common in the US – either in savoury muffins with chilli and cheese, or sweet muffins like these.
These Blueberry and Sweetcorn Muffins are not too sweet at all and are perfection spread with butter and drizzled with a little honey.😍 They are SO good – the moreish, crumbly texture of the corn and the bursting sweetness of the blueberries and sweetcorn – plus a good hit of lemon to lighten everything up.
What do you need to make these Blueberry and Sweetcorn Muffins?
You’ll need butter, light brown sugar, honey, a lemon, buttermilk, plain flour, cornmeal (this stuff), baking powder, sweetcorn and blueberries! You can use either frozen or fresh blueberries and sweetcorn – and there’s no need to defrost before using as they’ll thaw out as they’re being cooked.
Oh, and a muffin tin. I don’t use cases for these muffins, just grease the holes of your tin well with butter. The cornmeal gives these muffins a delicious crumbly texture, but it means they don’t work well in a case.
- 250g unsalted butter
- 100g light brown sugar
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 200ml buttermilk
- large pinch sea salt
- 300g plain flour
- 250g cornmeal
- 3.5tsp baking powder
- 100g sweetcorn
- 100g blueberries
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees and grease your muffin tin well with butter - don't forget the top too.
- In a bowl, stir together your very soft butter with the sugar and honey before beating in the eggs, lemon zest and lemon juice. Add the salt and set aside.
- In a second bowl, measure out the flour, cornmeal and baking powder and whisk lightly to remove any lumps. Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Stir together until everything is incorporated, then add the buttermilk and blueberries and sweetcorn. Mix until it's all mixed but don't overmix or beat. Dollop batter into each muffin hole - right to the top.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes, removing it when the muffin tops start to brown. Let cool almost completely in the muffin pan (they're delicious served warm).
This recipe makes 12 large muffins, but they freeze really well if you can’t use them all at once. Just wrap individual muffins in cling film and store in the freezer for up to three months 😝.
Pin it for later