Malted vanilla cupcakes topped with peanut butter frosting, chocolate peanut butter frosting and a chocolate covered pretzel! The taste of America!
While on honeymoon in the states last year, I was able to try out lots of Ben & Jerry’s flavours that we don’t have here in the UK (SO UNFAIR!). I sampled Red Velvet Cake (weirdly not great at all), Cinnamon Buns (yummy) and Chubby Hubby (to die for!). Chubby Hubby is ‘Vanilla malt ice cream with peanutty fudge covered pretzels with fudge and peanut buttery swirls’.
If you ever go to America (if you live there already you don’t know how lucky you are to have this ice cream in your life! And to be able to live in a white clapboard house (see my pinterest board of my dream houses here).
So these cupcakes are that ice cream, in cake form! The base is a malty vanilla cupcake, which is topped with a layer of peanut butter cream cheese frosting, another layer of chocolate cream cheese frosting, and finally a chocolate covered salted pretzel! Enjoy!
- 130g unsalted butter
- 300g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 250g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g horlicks powder
- 284ml buttermilk
- 100g chocolate chips
- 170g unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp peanut butter (Crunchy or smooth)
- 250g icing sugar
- 3 tbsp double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- large pinch salt
- 50g plain chocolate
- For the top
- Salted pretzels
- 50g plain chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 160c and fill a cupcake pan with liners.
- In a stand mixer or in a large bowl, combine the soft butter with the caster sugar and beat 3-5 minutes, until very soft and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each egg. Add the salt and vanilla.
- Measure the flour and horlicks and whisk together to eliminate lumps. Add the dry ingredients (flour) to the butter sugar egg mix, alternating with the buttermilk. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips and fill each cupcake liner two thirds full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the tops are lightly browned and spring back when gently pressed.
- Combine the very soft butter with the peanut butter, cream, vanilla and salt. Sift in the icing sugar, and beat in a stand mixer, or by hand until everything's incorporated.
- Add 50g melted plain chocolate to the peanut butter frosting.