Easy healthier Nutella with only three ingredients – packed full of roasted hazlenut goodness! It’s easy to make at home in a powerful mixer or blender
Nutella is the worlds number one best substance – agreed? So why on earth should you want to make your own when it already exists in handily premade form? Well because, homemade Nutella is is absolutely delicious (OF COURSE) and it’s also MUCH healthier.
Shop bought nutella has 13% hazlenuts and 55% sugar whereas my homemade version is 90% hazlenuts and the other 10% is sugar and cocoa powder!
Magimix kindly sent me a Magimix Patisser to try out and I have been going CRAZY making different kinds of nut butter out. Previously I had a good basic food processor but the Magmix motor really is excellent and so far I’ve made homemade nutella, pistachio chocolate butter, almond butter and pecan butter!
Back to Nutella (definitely the tastiest of them all by the way)…. let’s find out How to make Homemade Nutella!
As with all nut butters – you need lots of nuts, patience and a high-powered mixer or blender. You’ll start by roasting about 400g of hazlenuts for about ten minutes – this warms them up and makes them quicker to turn to a liquid in the blender… which does happen, although it seems like a miracle every time.
Once your nuts are roasted, tumble them into your blender or mixer and start mixing the heck out of them. Lots of recipes for homemade nutella recommend rubbing the skins off the hazlnenuts first, BUT good news, I’ve tried doing this and not bothering and it made zero difference.
The hazlelnuts will blend for about ten or even fifteen minutes, depending on your mixer. You’ll need to stop it every couple of minutes to scrape down the sides. Once it’s completely liquid, add cocoa powder and icing sugar to taste, plus a little salt to balance the sweet.
You CAN also use honey, maple syrup or agarve to sweeten this nutella, but – interesting fact about nut butter – the second you add a liquid to nut butter of any kind, it becomes firmer and can even seize up.
So don’t add more than a tbsp or two and add it right at the end.
- 400g hazlenuts
- 2-3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2-3 tbsp icing powder
- salt and vanilla, to taste
- First, roast your hazlenuts for 10 minutes in a medium hot oven, about 170c.
- While they're still warm, tip them into your blender or mixer and start to process. Continue for 10 - 15 minutes, scraping down the sides every couple of minutes.
- EVENTUALLY - and it won't seem like it will ever happen, but then it will - the nut mixture will turn into a butter. HOORAY!
- With the mixer running, tip in 2 tbsp each of icing sugar and cocoa powder, then stop the mixer and taste the nutella. Add a little more sugar or cocoa depending on your preference, and also add salt and vanilla to taste.
- Decant the nutella into a just cleaned jar, and store at room temperature for 2 - 3 weeks. Who are we kidding, there's no way it will last that long!
I’m just a tad obsessed with nutella – I eat it straight from the jar and stuff it into whatever I can think of. 😂 Like Nutella chocolate bark, nutella cupcakes and nutella millionaires shortbread (OMG).
Pin it for later