As you may have guessed, these Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting are based on your favourite wintery hot drink – Hot Chocolate! The cupcakes are so delicious, and exactly like a hot chocolate, are remniscent of a warm chocolatey hug!
A couple of weekends ago, I hosted the City WI Christmas Bake Sale, and I brought these cupcakes along. Kids and adults loved them – I think because there’s something about mini marshmallows that are just so fun!
So since I always associate winter with rich, chocolatey treats, make these the next time you’re craving something chocolatey, preferably while snuggled up on the sofa watching a Christmas movie!
- 250g unsalted butter
- 375g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 85g cocoa powder
- 130ml hot water
- 75g melted plain chocolate
- 325g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarb of soda
- large pinch salt
- 200ml cup sour cream
- 100g very soft unsalted butter
- 250g cream cheese
- 500g icing sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180C/gas mark 4/350F – you’ll need two cupcake tins lined with cases as this recipe makes around 18 cupcakes.
- Melt your butter and sugar in a saucepan on a low heat, until the sugar is dissolved. Transfer to a stand mixer (or large bowl) and mix for 4 – 5 minutes until the mixture is completely cool. Meanwhile, combine your cocoa powder with recently boiled water and stir until all the lumps are dissolved, and get your other dry ingredients ready. Melt your plain chocolate in the microwave in a heat proof bowl in 30 second bursts and set it aside to cool.
- Add the eggs to your butter-sugar mixture along with the vanilla, and then, with the mixer running, add your flour, bicarb of soda and baking powder, before adding in the cocoa mixture, salt, and finally, the sour cream and cooled melted chocolate. Once everything is incorporated, spoon two heaped tablespoons of mixture into each case.
- Bake in the middle and top shelves of your oven, rotating halfway through, and remove from the oven once a toothpick in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean (around 18 minutes).
- In a heatproof bowl, blast your butter in the microwave for 20 or so seconds, or until its very soft, then use a whisk to very thoroughly mix the butter until its lump free. Use the same whisk to stir in the cream cheese frosting until everything is incorporated and smooth.
- Next, sieve in around a third of the icing sugar, then remove the sieve and use a wooden spoon to carefully stir in the icing sugar - go slowly as it has a habit of flying everywhere! Repeat the process until all the icing sugar is combined, then again use the whisk to stir vigorously until its lump free. Set aside in the fridge to firm up.
- To assemble, use a small offset palette knife or spoon to scoop around a heaped tablespoon of frosting onto each cupcake. Top with mini or large marshmallows, a dusting of cocoa powder or even a drizzle of caramel sauce for that hot chocolate feeling.