One of the best things about Christmas is getting into the festive spirit in the weeks before the big day. There is literally nothing more Christmassy than spending an afternoon in front of the Christmas tree, singing along to seasonal songs and wrapping presents – I get happy just thinking about it! So I thought I’d share some of my favourites – let me know which ones I’ve missed in the comments!
These are songs that I grew up with as a child – the 70s/80s were GOLDEN decades for cheesy Christmas songs. Oh so golden.
- Step into Christmas – Elton John – one of the best songs for getting you into the Christmas party spirit EVER
- Do they know its Christmas – Band Aid – Clearly it does sometimes rain in Africa, but that doesn’t stop this being one of the catchiest festive tunes ever
- Last Christmas – Wham – If you’ve never seen the video, its well worth 6 minutes of your life
- The Power of Love – Frankie Goes to Hollywood – that John Lewis songstress doesn’t have a patch on the original. Not a straightforward Christmassy song but great nonetheless
- Happy Christmas (war is over) – John & Yoko – Just the soundtrack to my childhood Christmases. Christmasi? Christmi?
- Fairytale of New York – The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl – this has to be the strangest Christmas song ever. It’s wonderful.
- I believe in Father Christmas – Greg Lake – Don’t we all?
- I wish it could be Christmas every day – Wizzard – I personally think Christmas every day would be a bit much but that doesn’t stop this song being the ACES.
- Merry Christmas everybody – Slade – I find it somewhat hilarious that the most lasting contribution of the Wolverhampton born glam rock band will be this song.
- Wonderful Christmastime – Paul McCartney – its cheesy, the lyrics are naff to say the least. It’s everything you want in a Christmas song!
- Stop the cavalry – Jona Lewie –
- Driving home for Christmas – Chris Rea
- All I want for Christmas is you – Mariah Carey – THAT OPENING. Christmas perfection
- Another rock n roll Christmas – Gary Glitter
- In dulci jubilo – Mike Oldfield
- Thank God its Christmas – Queen
- A Spaceman Came Travelling – Chris de Burgh
- White Christmas – Bing Crosby – If you’ve never seen the film which brought about the song (also called White Christmas), add it to your Christmas to do list!
- Have yourself a merry little Christmas – The original is from Meet Me in St. Louis, but there are literally dozens of great versions
- Here comes Santa Claus – Doris Day
- Winter Wonderland – Dean Martin
- Let it snow – Dean Martin
- Jingle Bells – Frank Sinatra
- It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas – Perry Como
- Little Saint Nick – The Beach Boys
- Rockin’ around the Christmas Tree – Brenda Lee
- Carol of the Bells – Prepare to thwart burglers!
They’re not classic classics but some modern songs do deserve to be added to your Christmas playlist…
- Christmastime – Smashing Pumpkins
- Christmas Wish – She & Him – from their album A very She & Him Christmas
- Christmas Time (don’t let the bells end) – The Darkness
- The Cowboys Christmas Ball – The Killers – another video worth 4 minutes of your time – Brandon! Helpful robots! Swoon
- Oh Holy Night – Surfjan Stevens
- Last Christmas – Travis
- Have yourself a merry little Christmas – Coldplay
- Little Drummer Boy – Bright Eyes
- Christmas (baby please come home) – Death Cab for Cutie
- Someday at Christmas – Pearl Jam
Sigh. I’m feeling so festive now! Let me know of any Christmas crackers I’m missing out on in the comments!